Mission Statement: In the spirit of service, not self, the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military, and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and Country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
Ely American Legion Family Scholarship
The Ely American Legion Family is offering scholarships for high school seniors. The application period opens annually on January 2 (and closes March 31).
The 2022 scholarship application period is now closed; 2023 application will open January 2, 2023. The online application allows students a format to answer questions about their academics, background and extracurricular activities.
Applicants will be reviewed by a committee of Auxiliary members who will read and score utilizing a private / “blind” analysis process. Once award finalists are determined, the Ely American Legion Family will determine final award recipients who will receive a one time $555 scholarship award.
The Scholarship recipients will be announced in mid April; the award will be given directly to the winner.
Eligibility and selection criteria:
- Be a high school graduating senior, showing academic promise, with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant is recommended to reside in Linn or an adjacent county. (Benton, Buchanan, Cedar, Delaware, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn)
- Applicants must be: A child, sibling, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece, or nephew of a military service member. Details of an applicant’s service member relative should include the following: Name, Branch of Service, Status of Service Member (deceased or living).
A person pursuing military service post-graduation without family ties to the military. These applicants must provide documentation of that status (official communication from United States Government/military)
- What makes you the best candidate for this scholarship?
- How do you see your future career helping your community?
- Please list your community outreach, volunteer activities, academic and non-academic honors.
- What extracurricular activities or hobbies do you plan to participate in while in the military/trade-school/college/university?
The application process is strictly online. Include all sources of evidence:
- A copy of high school transcript.
- A copy of upcoming fall academic schedule (screenshot is acceptable) OR copy of official letter of acceptance.
- Two letter(s) of recommendation.
The Ely American Legion Auxiliary offers fundraising in the form of selling special treats throughout the year. Let us do the prep work by preparing and baking and YOU can have quality time decorating!
Watch the Ely American Legion Facebook page for the next opportunity to support our group!
Girls State (annually in June, mid to late June for 5 days (see Iowa American Legion Auxiliary Girls State site for details and dates))
2022 Girls State is June 19 to 24:
The Iowa American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program:
• Develops leadership and pride in American citizens.
• Educates citizens about our system of government.
• Instills a greater understanding of American traditions.
• Stimulates a desire to maintain our democratic government processes within our republic.
• Network with fellow students your age and looks great on your resume!!
If interested in completing an application for consideration, please contact Stephanie Johnson at email@example.com prior to the preceding October* of the year prior to the June Girls State
(*=please validate that dates work for you, review the Iowa Girls State website).
As a membership-driven, nonprofit patriotic service organization, the American Legion Auxiliary could accomplish very little without its members and their individual dedication to our mission. Through our various programs, our dedicated members impact the lives of veterans, military, and their families, as well as the general public. In short, without our members, the ALA could not exist.
If you are interested in joining the Ely American Legion Auxiliary Post 555, please feel free to contact Marlene Mertens, Membership Chairperson, 4000 Vista Road, Ely, IA 52227, phone: 319.329.7356.
For your convenience, here is a link to the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Form Please complete the form and send it to: Marlene Mertens, Membership Chairperson, 4000 Vista Road, Ely, IA 52227.