Mission Statement: In the spirit of service, not self, the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military, and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and Country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
Ely Legion Auxiliary Annual Scholarship
NEW: In 2021, we are excited that the Ely American Legion Scholarship is offering a scholarship!
The application period opens annually on January 2 (and closes March 31).
All scholarship applications must be submitted through the Ely American Legion’s online application portal (link can be accessed January 2 through March 31). In the online application, students will answer questions about their academics, background and extracurricular activities.
From these answers, applicants will be reviewed by a committee of Auxiliary members who will choose one candidate who will receive a one time $555 award. Applications are read and scored by a committee of volunteers who use a “blind” review process and make award recommendations to the members of the Auxiliary for a final review.
The Scholarship recipient will be announced in late April; the award will be sent directly to the winner.
Eligibility and selection criteria:
- Be a high school graduating senior, showing academic promise, with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant is recommended to reside in Linn or an adjacent county. (Benton, Buchanan, Cedar, Delaware, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn)
- Applicants must be: A child, sibling, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece, or nephew of a military service member. Details of an applicant’s service member relative should include the following: Name, Branch of Service, Status of Service Member (deceased or living).
A person pursuing military service post-graduation without family ties to the military. These applicants must provide documentation of that status (official communication from United States Government/military)
- What makes you the best candidate for this scholarship?
- How do you see your future career helping your community?
- Please list your community outreach, volunteer activities, academic and non-academic honors.
- What extracurricular activities or hobbies do you plan to participate in while in the military/trade-school/college/university?
The application process is strictly online. Include all sources of evidence:
- A copy of high school transcript.
- A copy of fall 2021 academic schedule (screenshot is acceptable) OR copy of official letter of acceptance.
- Two letter(s) of recommendation.
Girls State (June 20-25, 2021)
The American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program:
• Develops leadership and pride in American citizens.
• Educates citizens about our system of government.
• Instills a greater understanding of American traditions.
• Stimulates a desire to maintain our democratic government processes within our republic.
If interested in completing an application for consideration, please contact Stephanie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 15, 2021.
As a membership-driven, nonprofit patriotic service organization, the American Legion Auxiliary could accomplish very little without its members and their individual dedication to our mission. Through our various programs, our dedicated members impact the lives of veterans, military, and their families, as well as the general public. In short, without our members, the ALA could not exist.
If you are interested in joining the Ely American Legion Auxiliary Post 555, please feel free to contact Marlene Mertens, Membership Chairperson, 4000 Vista Road, Ely, IA 52227, phone: 319.329.7356.
For your convenience, here is a link to the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Form Please complete the form and send it to: Marlene Mertens, Membership Chairperson, 4000 Vista Road, Ely, IA 52227.Share