History of St Quentin Post 555 of the American Legion
Post 555 of the American Legion is located in Ely, Iowa. On 1 March 1921, fifteen veterans from the town in Ely applied for a charter to the American Legion. The national level officials signed the charter on 1 February 1922 and the Ely American Legion was born.
The St Quentin Post 555 gets its name from the Battle of St Quentin Canal in which two WW1 Soldiers from the Ely area died in action. Both PVT Charles Noska and PVT Joseph Dvorak were serving as part of the 30th Infantry Division when killed in action during October of 1918.
In 1954 and 1955, members designed and built a new building at the current location of 1545 Main Street in Ely. Since built, the building has been the home to many wedding receptions, dances, anniversaries, and community events.
The Ely Legion currently has around fifty members from the Ely areas and is always looking to expand its membership. The Ely Legion is active in supporting Legion events like the 5th Grade Essay Contest, the Oratorical Contest, and Boy’s State. The Ely Legion also supports multiple community youth programs.
Memorial Day ceremonies at Rogers Grove Cemetery in the 1920sShare