On this date in 1918: Battle of St. Quentin Canal

The Battle of St Quentin Canal began on September 29th, 1918. It is the battle for which Post 555 is named and in which two sons of Ely, Iowa made the ultimate sacrifice. PVT Charles Noska and PVT Joseph Dvorak … Continue reading

Share

Fall Fest Family Movie Night at the Legion

Come see the Lego Movie at the Ely American Legion – Free Admission (donations accepted) – Popcorn, pop and other snacks available upstairs – Bar open downstairs. Friday, September 26 – Two showings: 7:00 pm and 8:45 pm Bring lawn … Continue reading

Share

Home Base Iowa offers job assistance to veterans

In December 2013, Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds launched www.homebaseiowa.org, a new website for Home Base Iowa. The initiative is a new non-profit, private-public partnership that will recruit veterans and active duty service members for private-sector job … Continue reading

Share

National Commander testifies on the State of VA Health Care

Share … Continue reading

Share

Post Memorial Day Observance at Rogers Grove Cemetery

Brigadier General Roy Webb, Deputy Commanding General, Army National Guard – U.S. Army Maneuver Support Center of Excellence, Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, speaks at the Post 555 annual Memorial Day Service at Rogers Grove Cemetery. Post Honor Guard stands by. … Continue reading

Share

Ely Legion Hall Dedication Held in 1955

Marion Sentinel June 30, 1955 About 300 people attended the dedication of the American Legion Memorial Building of St. Quentin Post No. 515 at Ely Sunday, June 26. The program included an organ prelude by Don Heath of Cedar Rapids; … Continue reading

Share

Fun at Our First Family Movie Night

Post 555’s first ever family movie night was great success with fun for all. Disney’s Frozen was on the screen, popcorn was abundant and the bar was open downstairs. Fun for the kids, fun for mom and dad. This was … Continue reading

Share

Remembering the Old Ely Legion Hall 1923-1954

The current Legion Hall is not the first hall on the site. The original Ely Legion Hall was constructed in 1923 and expanded in 1928. Actually, it was two old school buildings that were moved to the site and fabricated … Continue reading

Share